2023 Tax Season
by Gregory Schaffer on Jan 11, 2023
Tax Season is upon us!
First, I pray that you and your family have enjoyed a healthy and happy Holiday season.
This is our 39th year in business and we thank you for being part of our journey, we are grateful and blessed.
As we prepare for this tax year, I wanted to give you some important information; the IRS has announced that it will start processing tax returns on Monday, January 23rd this year and thus our office will begin taking income tax appointments on Monday, January 23rd.
Going into this season, many of the special pandemic related relief provisions such as the increased child tax credit, increased dependent credit and economic impact payment (stimulus) related credits have expired, so this year marks a major change from the last few tax seasons. We are extremely prepared to handle this situation. Our goal as always is to operate with extreme diligence in reviewing the tax code and any applicable changes so that we can capably answer all questions and give you the best counsel possible. It is critical to seek professional expertise as the IRS presents us with an ever-changing tax landscape.
Though it has improved a small degree, we do want to bring to your attention the backlog at the Internal Revenue Service that again threatens to make this tax season a difficult one for us tax professionals and our clients. The IRS’s level of service was not great pre-COVID and it has certainly gotten worse during the COVID environment. There is not a lot of light at the end of the tunnel either. It is still extremely difficult for taxpayers and preparers alike to receive telephone assistance currently. The IRS expects that most taxpayers will receive their refund within 21 days of when they file electronically unless there’s an issue with processing their tax return. The IRS is urging taxpayers to use electronic filing to avoid delays in processing and to use the information letters provided by the agency when filing their tax returns to avoid errors that can lead to delays. We want to stress that a mistake on your return will potentially create a very undesirable experience and a major delay so our advice, don’t try and do your own. The tax laws were supposed to be made “more simple” and this is the farthest from the truth this year.
We will be available Monday through Saturday for in-person, video, or phone appointments, with later evening appointments available for convenience as well. For the healthy and safety of our staff, please reschedule if you are feeling ill. As usual, you always have the option of dropping off your taxes as well.
We have a personalized, secure portal that you can use to upload your documents for preparation. You can also use the camera on your mobile device to get documents to us securely as well by downloading the free app “Adobe Scan.” Please see below for instructions for downloading and using “Adobe Scan.” If you need an invitation to the secure portal, or further assistance with either of these methods, please contact David Cocuzzi at 585-563-8536 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also mail in your tax documents as well. No matter how you get your documents to us, you may request a scheduled timeslot for to discuss and finalize your return if you wish. We will still reach out to you before completing the return even if you do not have a scheduled time to ensure we have all your information to help minimize your taxes.
As one of our valued clients, it is often necessary for you to provide us with forms and documentation that allows us to serve your needs. For your convenience, there are many methods at your disposal to get this information to us. The list below provides several options, some of these common, and some that you may not have thought of, all with the goal in mind of making your business experience with us as easy and hassle-free as possible. We can also remote control into your computer to help you if you need assistance while you watch. For our disabled or elder clients that don't drive, we can make arrangements to collect your documents.
Methods of Delivery
- Dropped off in person at the office.
- Fax Machine
- U.S. Mail
- Adobe Scan (App)
- Documents can be scanned and attached (Blot out ANY personal information or Password Protect the pdf)
- Schaffer & Company Online Portal (Vault, Shared Documents). Contact David for an invitation.
- Webcam or Skype camera (Video Conference, we can simply take a picture of your document as you hold it up)
- USB Drive
- CD/DVD disc
- Uploaded to your own secure site (if applicable). You would then provide access for us.
ADOBE SCAN: MOBILE PDF INSTRUCTIONS
- Download Adobe Scan: Mobile PDF Scanner from the App Store.
- If you do not already have an account, you can sign in using Google, Facebook, or Apple
- Go through the steps for which platform you chose to sign in with, this may include sending a verification code to your email or phone.
- Once logged in, allow Adobe Scan access to the camera.
- To scan a document, hold the camera above the paper. It will direct if you need to get closer or further away. Tap on the screen to take the picture.
- The scan will come up and you can choose to retake or continue. If you are satisfied with the picture, click continue. This will save the document.
- The camera will come back up and you can choose to take additional pictures, or you can click on the bottom right to view the scans already saved. From here you have various options to edit the document. Once completed, click Save PDF.
- From here, you can choose to keep scanning or Share the PDF.
- To Share, please select email, and send to email@example.com. Please change the Email subject to First, Last Name Income Tax. David will contact you to verify delivery.
If you have not already, please contact our office using 585-621-3300 to make sure you can have a preferred time slot as we book up quickly. Even in these uncertain times we are dedicated to giving you the best experience, high level guidance, and optimal taxation results.
Should you have any questions or concerns prior to your appointment time, please feel free to call David directly at 585-563-8536 or 585-621-3300 extension #181. You may also email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
As social media has become an everyday event for many, I would ask that you visit our business page https://www.facebook.com/bolfinancial and leave a review and hopefully “Like” us on Facebook. If you cannot leave a 5-star review, then I would reach out to me personally as we only want to provide 5-star service and we will do all we can to earn that from you.
Thank you for your trust and confidence, may you and your family have a Blessed & Healthy New Year!
Gregory L. Schaffer, CEO, President, CIO, CFP, RFC